background

Friday, September 28, 2012

I love Paris in the springtime, I love Paris in the fall...

Recognize that song? No, well it's Frank Sinatra and he was singing the truth.  After we left Edinburgh we headed for the city of love and lights. PARIS.

Now you may disagree but I think every little girl dreams of going to Paris with the love of her life.  Walking the streets holding hands and hearing romantic music in the background.  Strolling past the Eiffel Tower and stealing a kiss.  Well, there was no soundtrack to go along with our trip but plenty of hand holding!

Our hotel is what you would call boutique and it was AMAZING!  The decor was a little modern for my taste but the room had everything we could have ever wanted and a super comfy bed to top it off....on a tangent, most beds in Europe are terrible!

Crazy shoe chair in the lobby

Sitting area in our room

Hello comfy bed!!

Awesome bathroom with towel warmer, heated mirror and TV

Yes please!!
We were staying near the Arc de Triomphe so we headed out for a walk and to find some dinner.  Pretty much every meal we had in Paris was great.  Our first stop was a little cafe near our hotel.  Chad ordered steak and it came out with a show!  The waiter poured some kind of bourbon sauce over it and lit it on fire at the table...not sure if it mentioned that on the menu since it was in French.

You can't really see the fire in the picture : (
After dinner we headed for the Arc.  The Arc de Triomphe was commissioned by Napoleon in 1806 and honors those who fought and died for France in the French Revolutionary and the Napoleonic wars.  It has the names of all French victories and generals inscribed on its inner and outer surfaces. Beneath its vault is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier which has an eternal flame that burns in remembrance of the dead who were never identified.
 You can go up to the top of the Arc...that is if you don't mind climbing a lot of stairs.  We decided to take on the challenge!  2/3 of the way up they have a little gift shop and area dedicated to all the triumphal arcs around the world.  Honestly, I didn't know the STL arch was considered triumphal but it was represented.

Picture at the top with the Eiffel Tower in the background.
 The view from the top was awesome!  I got my first glimpse of the Eiffel tower at sunset and it truly made my day.  Like I said, the little girl inside of me was having her dreams come true.
Eiffel Tower
 We made the long walk back down the winding staircase and headed back to our hotel to get a good nights rest before the next days adventure.  I made sure Chad walked in front of me in case I busted it on the way down...those of you who know me know I am not the most graceful : )


Stay tuned tomorrow for more pics of the Eiffel Tower than you have ever wanted to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment