background

Friday, September 14, 2012

More Barretstown fun...yes please!

If you read my post after I returned from camp you know how much I loved my time at Barretstown.  Well when I heard they were hosting a fundraising event in Dublin and needed volunteers I was eager to help out.  Barretstown raises 4.6 million euros annually to keep the camp running...that's A LOT of money honey!!

Yesterday, Barretstown and Eversheds (a law firm in Dublin) put on a good ole fashion field day....for adults : ).  Remember field day in elementary school?  All kinds of outside, crazy activities with prizes and tons of fun.  Well same idea here.  Companies payed to enter a team and the teams competed against each other for the glory of being the Barretstown Champs...yes there was a trophy and medals involved.  There were teams from Johnson and Johnson, The Royal College of Surgeons and other big names!

I arrived in time to help set up and was in charge of the "space hopper egg on a spoon relay".  Some of the other activities included three legged race, target practice and sack races.


There was some major competitiveness going on here!  19 teams, of 5-6 people each, completed against each other.  They were doing everything they could to win...including a little cheating here and there, haha.

Racing with their eggs!

Using the space hoppers as weapons
 As part of the fun, they had a famous rugby star come out to join in the event.  His name is Gordon D'Arcy and he plays for Leinster....apparently they were the Heineken Cup Champs this year.  Obviously I had no clue who this dude was but everyone seemed to be pretty in awe of him.  He certainly looks like a rugby player to me : )

Gordon Darcy is the guy in the middle of the front row
 Everyone had a great time...including the CEO of Barretstown and Eimer, the Barretstown nurse.  You can see them below trying out the space hoppers.

Woohoo!
 At the end all the points were tallied up and the winners were presented with their trophy.  Sorry for the bad pic but this guy with the "special jewelry" presented the awards. I can't remember his official title but he's basically the Mayor of Dublin or something.

He doesn't look to thrilled with my picture taking.
 The afternoon was tons of fun in true Barretstown fashion!  I wish I could do something like this every week...it's good for the soul! 

On another note, Chad and I leave tomorrow morning for Edinburgh, Scotland and then onto Paris.  We will be gone for about 10 days and I will do my best to squeeze in some blog posts while we are gone.  No promises though : )

No comments:

Post a Comment