background

Monday, July 23, 2012

Random happening from my first full week...

As of this past Thursday I had officially been in Dublin for 1 week...oh and what a busy week it was. After we returned from our weekend getaway I was in a tizzy to get our apartment the way I wanted it.  I had a huge list of items I needed and an even longer list of things to clean. While the apartment came furnished we needed hangers, sheets, some kitchen items, etc.  In the US my first stop would  have been TJ Maxx or Target. Well guess what?  Ireland has its own version of TJ Maxx they call TK Maxx. Even better, it was walking distance from the apartment.

So I had a nice walk to TK Maxx and stopped for some Starbucks on the way home. I bought 2 pairs of double sheets and threw them in the wash when I got home.  When I went to put them on the bed...THEY DIDN't FIT!! I was so mad! I had all ready washed them and thrown away the package! Turns out some european doubles are a bigger than standard - learned that the hard way.

Well, Tuesday Chad was on call so I decided I would take him to work so I had the car.  In Dublin they drive on the left side of the road and for a girl who has worked hard to stay on the right side of the road for the past 12 years this was a challenge. I did just fine on the 2 lane roads but when it came to a 4 lane divided street...well lets just say there was a lot of honking and a really quick U-turn :( I got home and was utterly exhausted from concentrating so hard, haha!

The  next morning I decided to brave the roads again to make a trip to Ikea. All was going well until I went through a toll in to a tunnel and got a flat tire right at the entrance! Luckily, they have a bazillion cameras in the tunnel and before I could panic or cry a traffic patrol dude came to my rescue. Because I was in the tunnel they had to tow me out to safety. Get this, it was free!?! Never would happen in the US. The tow truck driver towed me to a nearby hotel and went to put on my spare tire which didn't exist.  Yes thats right....our car is too small to carry a spare.  So I called the rental car company and they sent out a guy with a new tire. This was my view while I waited : )

So thankful for this guy!!!
Yes that's my clown car
 After all of this, I made it to Ikea with about an hour to spare before I needed to pick up Chad. For those of you who have been to Ikea, an hour goes by in about 5 minutes! I guess at some point I will have to brave the roads again...just not yet.

On a side note, let me tell you how much fun it has been to be at home and have the time to cook, explore, sleep and workout at my own will.  Having been a resident for the past 2 years I think I am even more grateful!! I know Chad is enjoying having a non-grumpy, well rested wife and home cooked meals.  I'm sure at some point I will be bored or ready to go back to work....but not yet : )

Fresh pasta with sauteed chicken and veggies

Breakfast for Chad

Spicy chicken kabobs with spinach, strawberry and goat cheese salad
Coming up tomorrow a tour of our new apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment