background

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Glendalough and Malahide...

With all the company we have had visit us in Ireland it still wasn't a challenge to find new things to see and do.  Chad and I had heard that Glendalough in Wicklow Mountains National Park was beautiful and not to be missed. So we loaded up the car for a day trip to check it out. 

It just so happened that there was a pottery shop on the way that Cathy had wanted to check out too!  Kill two birds with one stone : ) It was the neatest little shop and pottery studio that was on the backside of the artist's home. 

We wandered around for a while and I spotted this little vase below!  I was in love.  I also loved the little elephant but couldn't quite justify getting both.  The vase though now has a new home in St. Louis!!  I can't wait to put some flowers from my garden in it next spring.
 There were so many beautiful and unique pieces.  Cathy went home with a few too : )  If you make it to Ireland and are anywhere near Glendalough you should go say hi!


After leaving the potter's shop we headed to the park.  Just a short hike down the trail, through gorgeous trees covered in moss, we came upon the ruins of a Monastic city. 
Tower off in the distance

This Christian monastic settlement was first established by St. Kevin in the 6th century.  AMAZING that it is still standing!  The monks abandoned it centuries ago due to religious and political upheavals but somehow it managed to survive all these years.  They just don't build things like they used to, huh??

Monastic tower and chapel
Little stream covered in trees

There was something so peaceful about this place.  With autumn colored trees surrounding us, the sound of the stream in the distance and the dampness from all the rain...it made me want to curl up by a fire in a log cabin and drink hot chocolate.  No cabins in sight though!  We did find a little restaurant though to grab some lunch (and some hot tea) before heading back to Dublin. 




Later in the week, while Chad was at work, Cathy, Paul and I took the train out to Malahide.  Chad and I had been out there before (remember this) but the castle was closed at the time.  Well, it reopened recently so we went to take the tour.  First we walked through town along the Marina and stopped for a little lunch. 


Sadly we couldn't take any pictures in the castle....they never let you take pics of the good stuff : ( But here it is from the outside.  The 12th century castle was owned by the same family (the Talbot's) for over 800 years.  The Talbots lived in the castle until 1973 when the current inhabitant passed away unexpectedly.  The castle was left to his sister who couldn't afford to pay the death taxes.  She was forced to sell the property to pay the taxes and it was purchased by the Irish government.  Now it hosts tours and a gift shop. 

2 comments:

  1. Everything looks so beautiful there. And I love the pottery. Most of the all pottery you find here are earth tones. You'll have to post some of Ireland's Christmas decor... I'd love to see how they decorate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so funny mentioned that Joy! Chad and I were walking in the city last night looking at all the Christmas lights and I told him I wish I had my camera so I could blog about the decor. I will have to go get some pics soon!

    ReplyDelete